In the United States alone, nearly one in five teens suffers from obesity.
For a teen, obesity carries a wide range of detriments, but even being a little overweight can feel like a huge burden for a teen.
If you suffer from obesity or overweight, this guide for how to lose weight for teens can help you get in better condition.
What is Obesity?
Your family doctor can help you determine if you fall into the technically obese category.
If you’re 30 pounds or more overweight compared to other kids your age, you might be obese.
Why Obesity is so Unhealthy
Being overweight often makes you feel sad inside.
You might feel like you’re a bad person because you can’t control your eating and drinking.
You can’t keep up with your friends on the sports field, or even walking down the road.
Your clothes don’t fit right, and you feel physically uncomfortable most of the time.
Other kids in school may even make fun of you, pretending to make a joke, but really it’s an insult.
They don’t know how awful you feel inside, and how much you wish you could lose weight.
Health Dangers of Being Obese
Being obese puts your health in jeopardy, too.
Your bones and joints can only support so much weight.
When your hips, knees and feet hurt it’s because they are being strained too much.
Your skin is being overstretched and may even be sensitive in places.
Your heart has to work a lot harder to pump blood.
You might even develop hypertension, a dangerous condition that threatens your life and your eyesight.
Teens Can Lose Weight!
There is good news if you’re a teen who needs to lose weight:
Because you’re young, your body is better able to heal and repair itself.
All of the problems related to obesity can be reversed, including hypertension.
In many cases, teens can lose weight easier than older people, because your metabolism is faster.
You can lose weight and become a healthy, fit individual with many happy years ahead of you.
The time to start is right NOW!
1. Avoid Temptations
Junk food and sugary drink temptations are everywhere.
They’re in television commercials, in restaurants, at your friend’s house, and maybe even in your own refrigerator.
The temptations are strong, and since sugar is addicting, you have little power over it.
You’ll need to avoid the temptations as much as possible in order to win the battle.
- Ask parents to stop buying junk food and processed foods
- Watch less TV, so you can avoid tempting junk food commercials
- Don’t linger at vending machines or in the snack aisles at mini-marts
2. Have Healthy Snacks Available
When your friends offer you a candy bar, reach for your own bag of trail mix instead.
Put a stash of healthy snacks in your locker for between-class pick-me-ups.
Ask your parents to substitute healthy snacks for ice cream, chips and popcorn.
Here are some tasty snack alternatives:
- Fresh Fruit
- Roasted Chickpeas
- Beef Jerky
- Greek Yogurt
- Veggie Snack Packs (raw carrots, snap peas, celery sticks)
3. Learn to Cook
Cooking isn’t hard!
When you learn to cook, you have complete control over the ingredients you eat.
Learning to cook will improve your self-esteem, too.
You don’t have to be Rachael Ray or Bobby Flay!
Start with one recipe, then add one more, and so on.
Get a free starter cookbook from the library if your parents can’t teach you to cook.
Look for recipes with just a few ingredients, like:
- Roasted Asparagus (fresh asparagus, olive oil, salt)
- Chicken Curry (fresh chicken, pre-made curry sauce)
- Mashed Cauliflower (cauliflower, milk, butter)
4. Eat More Often
It doesn’t sound like it makes sense, but the key to weight loss is to eat more frequently.
Each meal or snack should be small.
When you allow yourself to become ravenous by going for long hours without eating, you get desperate.
That’s when those cravings for junk food get worse.
But if you never let yourself go for more than two or three hours between a snack or a small meal, your cravings for junk food will go away.
Keep those healthy snacks handy from number 2, above, so you can eat healthy items on a more frequent basis.
That’s great news right? You don’t have to go hungry to lose weight!
5. Get Busy
To lose weight as a teen, you need to be more active.
When you are more active, you’ll build more muscle tissue, which helps you burn more calories.
That way, the food you eat will be used for energy…instead of being stored as fat.
You don’t have to join the track team and run miles every day.
You can choose from many diverse activities that will help you be active and lose weight:
- Walk your dog on a leash instead of just letting him roam the backyard
- Ride your bike to school and work instead of taking the school bus or driving
- Start a building project, like a tree house, or a raised garden bed in the backyard
- Rent or buy a canoe or kayak
- Join a hiking club
- Paint your bedroom
- Start a neighborhood lawn maintenance business
Finally, remember that losing weight won’t happen overnight.
Don’t weigh yourself every day, because that will just frustrate you.
A weekly weigh-in is sufficient to ensure you’re on the right track.
Soon, you’ll start to notice you’re losing weight just by the way you feel.
In the meantime, be kind to yourself…you CAN do this!
Can’t Afford a Personal Trainer? Jillian Michaels is at Your Fingertips With Her New Fitness App
Introducing the New Personalised Fitness App from America’s favorite personal trainer and foremost fitness expert in the world, Jillian Michaels (Available on iOS and Android).
What Can I Expect from Jillian’s New Fitness App?
Jillian’s New App is like having your own personal trainer.
The app features an infinite variety of fully interactive, customized daily workouts.
Best of all, you can tailor your sweat sesh to ALL fitness levels, newbie to advanced.
Easily swap out exercises and increase or decrease the intensity of over 550 unique exercises.
You can even listen to your favorite workout tunes whilst matching the tempo to the pace of your routine!
What’s Included in the New App?
As well as all of the above, Jillian’s app lets you laser target your fitness and weight loss goals with a range of specifically tailored programs.
There are 15 in total to choose from, including:
- The Gauntlet: Jillian’s year-long fitness challenge for achieving the fittest, leanest sexiest body through various disciplines such as yoga, kickboxing, HIIT, and so much more.
- Fitness for Beginners: Jump start your fitness journey the right way with Jillian’s expert guidance in these 10 x 20-minute workouts.
- Wedding Warrior: Turn heads by getting into the best shape of your life for your big day. Guests will gasp as you walk down the aisle.
- Sexy Abs: Be prepared to lose the pooch in the fastest time possible. Get sexy, toned abs in just 4 weeks.
- Bounce Back Baby: Even baby will gape in amazement as you rebuild your core and flatten your tummy fast. This program is suitable for those who have had a C-section or diastasis recti.
- Bangin’ Bikini Body: Get ready for summer with this insanely popular program. Tone and sculpt your body in just 30 days using 12 unique 25-minute workouts.
All Jillian’s meal plans are co-created with professional chefs and registered dieticians, so they taste amazing and deliver insane results.
Omnivore, Pescatarian, Vegan, Vegetarian, Paleo and Gluten Free options are also available.
Track Your Progress
Easily monitor your progress with a personal dashboard to track your weight, workouts, calories burned, calories consumed and more.
Syncs with Apple Health, and most Bluetooth heart rate monitors.
FREE 7-Day Trial
If for any reason you’re not delighted with Jillian’s New Fitness App, you can cancel anytime within your 7-day FREE trial.
You can start today from as little as $14.99 a month.
Loved this post on how to lose weight for teens? Don’t forget to pin it!