These tummy-tightening yoga poses for flat abs target your core, and will give you a great stomach workout in just 4 minutes.
In fact, one of the overarching benefits of yoga is core engagement…even for beginners.
And here are 6 yoga poses for flat abs you can start today without any previous experience.
Hold each pose for just 30 seconds to achieve a flatter tummy in as little as 4 minutes.
Let’s get started:
1. Cat-Cow Stretch
This is a great pose for warming up at the beginning of your workout because it stretches your core.
1. Start down on all fours with your wrists shoulder-width apart and your knees under your hips.
2. Arch your back, rounding your spine upward towards the ceiling.
3. Your belly will hug up to the spine as you hold the pose.
4. On the next exhalation, press your back down towards the floor as you raise your head and look forward.
Hold until the next inhalation and then return to the arched position.
2. Bird Dog Pose
The bird dog pose works both the core and the deep muscles of the shoulder.
1. Start down on all fours with your wrists under your shoulders and your knees placed just slightly narrower than your hips.
2. Keep your belly parallel to the floor.
3. Lift your right leg straight behind you and then stretch your left arm forward.
4. You’ll want to press down on the right hand to push your ribcage away from the floor to support the raised arm.
5. Bring both the arm and leg back to start and lift the other side.
The movements should flow as you perform this pose and keep your core engaged and stable.
If you are struggling to balance, try just lifting the legs and working up to adding the arm movement.
3. Plank Pose
One of the best yoga poses for flat abs, the plank pose can also be very challenging.
Initially, you might only be able to hold the pose for a few seconds, but keep it up!
As you grow stronger, you will find holding it becomes easier.
1.Start lying on your stomach or in the downward dog pose (That means both your feet and hands are pressing into the floor but your bottom is in the air so your body forms an inverted V-shape).
2. In downward dog, lower your arms to the floor and rest on your elbows then drop your back, so your body forms a straight line balancing on your elbows and toes.
3. If starting from the floor, push up on your elbows with your palms flat in front of you and lift up on your toes. Your neck and spine should form a straight line with your belly just a few inches off the floor.
4. The Bridge Pose
The Bridge pose is most commonly used to strengthen the back.
But done correctly, it’s also a great move to engage your core and tighten your tummy.
The secret is to activate the muscles around the waist to help stabilize the hips.
1. Lie down on your back with your arms at your side and palms up.
2. Keep your knees bent with your feet about hip-width apart.
3. Press your feet and arms into the floor as you push your belly and hips up towards the ceiling until there is a straight line from your knees to your shoulders.
4. You will be tempted to clench your buttocks, but try to imagine lengthening the bones of your pelvic girdle, known as your sit bones, towards your knees, instead. It will help stabilize your body if you clasp your hands under your raised back while holding the pose.
Want something a little more challenging?
You can change this to the walking bridge pose by lifting one foot slightly off the ground, then slowly lowering it back into position before lifting the other one, as if you were walking.
At first, the lifting part might be tough, so try just pushing your toes up to the ceiling until your core gets stronger.
RELATED: 11 Yoga Poses for Weight Loss
5. Side Plank Pose
Like the regular plank, this pose can be very challenging.
You will want to work up to the full pose and it will get easier over time.
But don’t get discouraged. The more challenging the yoga pose, the quicker you’ll see results.
Here’s what you do:
1. Start on the floor lying on one side.
2. Lift up so your elbow rests under the shoulder and your hand is pressing in front of your body.
3. Now, push up with the top leg while leaving the bottom one with the knee pressed to the floor. The side facing up should form a straight line from shoulder to ankle.
4. Raise your free hand up toward the ceiling.
This is a modified version of the side plank.
If you are stronger, you might try the full move with both legs off the floor, so your body rests only on one hand or elbow and the side of one foot.
The side of the body facing the floor will form a straight line from the armpit to the ankle.
As you get even stronger, you can lift the top leg up toward the ceiling as you lift the arm.
6. The Boat Pose
We finish our session with one of the most common yoga poses for flat abs – the Boat pose.
Not only will the Boat pose flatten your stomach, but it effectively builds strength in your hip flexors as well as your spine.
What’s more, this popular beginner’s yoga pose will energize and nourish your internal organs including intestines, kidneys and thyroid gland.
1.Begin by sitting on the ground with your legs outstretched.
2. Place your hands behind your hips and lean back as your arch your chest high but maintaining a straight spine.
3. Ensuring that you’re sitting on the top of your sitting bones and over your tailbone, exhale and bend your knees, keeping your feet on the ground at first.
4. Continue to lean back and walk your feet on tip-toes towards your hips.
5. When your body is forming a V shape and you feel balanced bring your hands around and grasp the backs of your knees as you lift your feet off the ground.
The ultimate aim of this pose is to straighten your legs and hold your arms out beside your knees.
However, this can prove too challenging for most beginners which is why I’ve specifically chosen this Youtube video.
By keeping your knees slightly bent and using your hands to hold the backs of your knees, you’ll greatly increase the ease of this pose.
As you become more confident, and your abs get stronger, you can experiment by releasing your grip and straightening your knees.
Yoga provides one of the best programs for all over body strength, but its use of the core tightens your tummy and flattens your abs.
The poses also build stability and balance that you will benefit every move you make no matter what you are doing.
Try these yoga poses for flat abs now. Even after one session, you should start to feel your tummy becoming tighter and firmer.
Don’t forget to Pin It! to your favorite Yoga board:
Introducing: Yoga Burn for Women
If you’re really serious about losing weight, and want a simple yoga strategy you can use in the comfort of your own home, then I highly recommend Zoe Bray-Cotton’s Yoga Burn for Women.
Who is Zoe Bray-Cotton?
Zoe Bray Cotton is a certified yoga instructor, personal trainer, and female body transformation expert.
She has experience teaching yoga to thousands of clients, and working one-on-one as a personal trainer to help women tone their bodies and lose weight in the shortest amount of time possible.
What Can I Expect from Yoga Burn?
Yoga Burn for Women promises to help you:
- Shape and tone
- De-stress and relieve tension
- Manage your weight
- Gain flexibility
- Boost immunity and
- Generally become more happy and healthy
No Risk Money Back Guarantee
In fact, Zoe is so sure that you’ll love the results from Yoga Burn for Women that she offers a full, 60-day, no-questions-asked money back guarantee in the unlikely event that you’re not delighted with your results.
Not only do you get this RISK FREE money back guarantee, but if you act now, you’ll receive Zoe’s Limited Time Price Offer and access to her weekly BONUS videos designed to improve your overall experience and results with Yoga Burn for Women.
What You Will Learn from Yoga Burn
In this program, you’ll learn the secret to Yoga Burn for Women’s success – a critical, but little-known, technique called “Dynamic Sequencing”.
This strategy forces your body to adapt, giving you a more shapely, feminine body that looks great.
What’s more, Yoga Burn for Women is designed exclusively for women from any walk of life who want to lose weight and get in shape, without trekking to the gym and spending countless hours performing fruitless cardio.
Who is Yoga Burn for?
The program is specifically tailored to suit women of all fitness levels from the very new to advanced yoga students.
You’ll also learn how to optimize each pose to take advantage of your very own fitness levels.
Check out Yoga Burn for Women here!