Shape, strengthen and tone your entire body with these 10 yoga asanas for strength.
Why is Building Strength Important?
- Stronger muscles not only help stabilize your joints but also boost weight loss.
- Strength training builds bone density, reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
- It has also been shown to increase mental health, reduce anxiety, depression, pain, improve sleep, confidence, and self-esteem!
Hold these yoga asanas for strength for 10 – 12 breathes unless otherwise indicated.
And if you’re a beginner, work within your limits and aim for five, long deep breathes.
10 Yoga Asanas for Strength.
1. Boat Pose.
- From a seated, knees bent position, lift your legs till your shins are parallel to the floor.
- Next, extend your arms so they’re in line with your legs and at shoulder height.
- Finally, straighten out your legs and float that boat!
This is one of the best yoga asanas for strength with regards to your core.Stronger muscles not only help stabilize your joints but also boost weight lossClick To Tweet
2. Scale Pose.
- From the lotus position, place your palms on the floor beside your hips.
- Then, exhale, push the hands against the floor, pull in your navel, and lift your legs and buttocks away from the floor.
- Lastly, hold suspended for 10 to 15 seconds.
Related content: Strength Training Guide for Women: 6 Exercises Without Building Bulk
3. Upward Plank.
- Sitting on your mat, bend your knees and place your feet on the floor, heels a foot away from your buttocks.
- Next, exhale, press your inner feet and hands down against the floor, and lift your hips until you come into a reverse table-top position, torso and thighs approximately parallel to the floor, shins and arms approximately perpendicular.
- Without losing the height of your hips, straighten your legs one at a time. Lift your hips still higher without hardening your buttocks. Press your shoulder blades against your back torso to support the lift of your chest.
- Hold for 5, long, deep breathes.
- 10 Yoga Poses for Flexibility
- The 7 Best Yoga Poses for Lower Back Pain (And How I Avoided the Scalpel)
4. Downward Facing Dog.
- Begin on your hands and knees with your knees directly below your hips and hands slightly forward of your shoulders and curl your toes under.
- Next, exhale and lift your knees away from the floor. At first, keep the knees slightly bent and the heels lifted away from the floor.
- Then, breathe out, push your top thighs back and stretch your heels onto or down toward the floor. Straighten your knees but don’t lock them.
- Finally, press through your index fingers, don’t hunch your shoulder blades and keep your head between your arms, not hanging.
Related: 11 Yoga Poses for Weight Loss
5. Plank Pose.
- From downward facing dog, inhale and draw your torso forward until the arms are perpendicular to the floor and the shoulders directly over the wrists, torso parallel to the floor.
- Next, press your outer arms inward and firm the bases of your index fingers into the floor.
- Hold for 5 breaths.
Related: 10 Surprising Benefits of Yoga: You Won’t Believe #8
6. Side Plank Pose.
- From the plank pose, press your weight down through your right hand.
- Then, roll your body to the right whilst balancing on the outer edge of your right foot. Stack your left foot on top of your right foot and keep your legs aligned.
- Place your left hand on your hips or stretch your fingertips to the sky and gaze up at your thumb.
- The 20-Rep Squat Challenge
- How to Build Your Chest Without Weights
- Shoulder Workout: Expert Advice for a Killer V-Taper
- Bicep Workout: How to Avoid These 4 Common Mistakes
7. Bird Dog Pose.
- Come to your hands and knees with your palms flat on the floor directly below your shoulders and your hips above your knees. Keep your neck aligned with your back.
- Then, shift your weight to your left knee and slowly lift your right leg and straighten it behind you while pointing your toes to the ground.
- Next, shift your weight onto your right hand and lift your left arm straight in front of you.
- Hold for 5 breathes, and then repeat on your opposite side.
When it comes to yoga asanas for strength in the back, arms and glutes, this pose is ideal!
Related: 8 Yoga Poses for Depression
8. Tree Pose.
- Begin standing with your arms by your sides (mountain pose).
- Shift your weight to your left foot.
- Rest your hands on your hips and lengthen your tailbone toward the Earth.
- Fix your gaze to a spot on the wall and draw down through you left foot and toes.
- Repeat on your opposite side.
9. Warrior Pose.
- Begin with your feet 4 to 5 feet apart.
- Turn your right foot out 90 degrees, so your toes are pointing to the top of the mat and pivot your left foot slightly inwards around 45-degree angle.
- Next, raise your arms to shoulder height, palms facing down and reach through your fingertips.
- Finally, exhale and bend your front knee directly over your ankle. Keeping your shin straight, sink in at the hips till your thigh is parallel to the ground and gaze across the tip of your right middle finger. Repeat on the other side.
Related: 10 Yoga Poses to Relieve Stress
10. Chair Pose.
- From a standing position, inhale and raise your arms above your head, perpendicular to the floor.
- Exhale as you bend your knees, bringing your thighs as parallel to the floor as you can.
- Draw your shoulder blades into your upper back ribs as you reach your elbows back towards your ears.
I hope you find these yoga asanas for strength a useful addition to your health and fitness routines. They’re beginner friendly and you can do them every day.
Introducing: Yoga Burn for Women
If you’re really serious about improving your health with yoga and want a simple yoga strategy you can use in the comfort of your own home, then I highly recommend Zoe Bray-Cotton’s Yoga Burn for Women.
Yoga Burn for Women promises to help you:
- Shape and tone
- De-stress and relieve tension
- Manage your weight
- Gain flexibility
- Boost immunity and
- Generally become more happy and healthy
In fact, Zoe is so sure that you’ll love the results from Yoga Burn for Women that she offers a full, 60-day, no-questions-asked money back guarantee in the unlikely event that you’re not delighted with your results.
Not only do you get this RISK FREE money back guarantee, but if you act now, you’ll receive Zoe’s Limited Time Price Offer and access to her weekly BONUS videos designed to improve your overall experience and results with Yoga Burn for Women.
In this program, you’ll learn the secret to Yoga Burn for Women’s success – a technique known as Dynamic Sequencing.
This strategy forces your body to adapt, giving you a more shapely, feminine body that looks great.
What’s more, Yoga Burn for Women is designed exclusively for women from any walk of life who want to lose weight and get in shape, without trekking to the gym and spending countless hours performing fruitless cardio.
The program is specifically tailored to suit women of all fitness levels from the very new to advanced yoga students.
You’ll also learn how to optimize each pose to take advantage of your very own fitness levels.
Check out Yoga Burn for Women here!
And if you liked this post, don’t forget to hit the share buttons! They’re right here:
Superb guide lines
Hi Mona. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. Much appreciated. Peter